Shopping for Fruits and Vegetables
When you have the luxury of going to the store often, shopping for fruits and vegetables is not that big of a deal, you just buy what you need for the next few days. But, what if you are trying to shop just once in a while and stay home as much as possible as recommended to prevent the spread of COVID 19? Here are some tips.
- Buy a variety of fresh, frozen, and canned.
- Eat the salad greens first, these are the most perishable.
- Buy salad greens that can also be cooked such as spinach or arugula. If you don’t eat them all in the first few days, cook them and use in omelets or bowl meals.
- Buy fruits and vegetables with a long shelf life. Apples, oranges, grapefruit, cabbage, Napa cabbage, carrots, onions – all keep for weeks.
- Freeze bananas immediately. Peel and place in a zip top bag and freeze. Use for pancakes, muffins, or smoothies.
- When you cook vegetables, assess what you will use in the next few days and freeze the rest for later.
Here are some great recipes that use fruits or vegetables with either long shelf lives or that can be made from frozen: